“One of the greatest gifts you can give is your time”
People choose to volunteer for a variety of reasons, a chance to give back to their community or to make a difference to the people around them. We understand that not everyone is the same, therefore we encourage our volunteers to share a diverse range of skills and passions with our residents and clients, giving them the opportunity to explore and participate in new activities and experiences.
As a volunteer what you have to offer is vital in enhancing the lives and well-being of our residents and clients.
Why you should volunteer at Whyalla Aged Care:
- It’s gratifying – what a great way to enjoy your passion through sharing it with others, building invaluable relationships that make a difference not only to their lives but your own.
- It’s a team – you will meet other volunteers who share different or similar passions to yours. You’ll become a part of a social support network and create new friendships with the team.
- Its flexible – your time is invaluable, therefore you can volunteer for as much time you want. We provide multiple volunteer opportunities on any given day and at flexible times.
- You’ll learn new things – our residents and clients are waiting to share their stories with you, through volunteering you will develop better understanding of the elderly and learn new skills and talents that you may never have thought you had.
The role of a volunteer is varied to suit your interests. It is important for our volunteers to be engaged with our residents and clients as this helps to build strong partnerships that last.
Some activities currently provided by volunteers include:
- Entertainment – cards, bingo, music
- Creativity – arts, crafts, gardening
- Social – conversations, storytelling, companionship, sharing interests, transport
- Wellness – walks, exercise groups, religion
- Learning – computers, news, reading
I want to:
Lifestyle and Group Volunteers
Whether it’s a trip to the local service club for a luncheon or enjoying a cup of tea by the sea, socialising in a group game of bingo, participating in an active ageing program or simply sharing stories of days gone by, our Lifestyle Volunteers are integral to what we can offer our residents and provides our Lifestyle Team with greater flexibility to meet the requests of our residents.
We endeavour to have entertainment during special functions for our residents. Do you have a special talent you would love to showcase, play a musical instrument or have a great singing voice? We would love to hear from you!
As a Lifestyle Volunteer you will make new friendships, try new things and help people to continue doing the things they have always loved.
Varied times & days
Social Support / Companionship
With support for the Lifestyle Team, Social Support Volunteers help provide support to older people with lifestyle activities in areas of their choice. Volunteers would visit residents throughout the facilities and undertake an array of activities of the person’s choice, this could be having a cup of tea, going for a walk, completing a puzzle or doing some gardening in one of our many garden areas.
We have various opportunities for volunteers in this area cooking, cultural sessions, craft, woodwork, religion and many more.
Days are times are flexible, and training and support is provided and whilst there are no prerequisites for volunteers, having a basic understanding of dementia and an interest in helping older people is highly sought after.
Varied Times & Days
The Auxiliary Group was founded to support Whyalla Aged Care in raising funds as a Not for Profit organisation. The Auxiliary raise funds through holding BBQ’s, garage sales, quiz nights and morning teas combined with a trading table and run two major raffles each year. Monies raised contribute to the ongoing enhancements of Whyalla Aged Care’s services and equipment that benefit our residents and visiting community members.
The roles within the Auxiliary is varied and dependant on events being held and special occasions. One day you can be putting together a poster to promote an event and the next day, out in the community serving at a cake stall. If you enjoy meeting people and have some experience in fundraising and customer service, we’d love to hear from you.
Monthly Meetings & multiple event days
Whyalla Aged Care
25 Newton Street
Whyalla SA 5600